NetCDF data file examples
Vertical profile in-situ observations
The following example contains 2 vertical profiles from Pheidippides glider.
Each profile contains pressure, temperature, salinity and oxygen observations.
- MyOcean - SDN vertical profiles sample file, Pheidippides glider, v0.2 27.16 kB
- MyOcean - SDN vertical profiles sample file, Pheidippides glider, ncdump ascii, v0.2 46.88 kB
Trajectory in-situ observations
The following example contains one day of thermosalinograph data from Thalassa research vessel.
Each observation contains temperature, salinity, conductivty and tsg tank temperature.
The depth is reported as 5 meters.
- MyOcean - SDN trajectory sample file, Thalassa thermosalinograph, v0.1 31.56 kB
- MyOcean - SDN trajectory sample file, Thalassa thermosalinograph, ncdump ascii, v0.1 48.68 kB
Time-series in-situ observations
The following example contains one month of observations from CIS-1 mooring (Central Irminger Sea).
There are 15 profiles of 12 levels having temperature, salinity, conductivity and pressure measurements.
- MyOcean - SDN time-series sample file, CIS-1 mooring site, v0.1 16.07 kB
- MyOcean - SDN time-series sample file, CIS-1 mooring site, ncdump ascii, v0.1 22.75 kB
Important features for in-situ data
Vertical axes management
Here are the essential features used by MyOcean and OceanSITES to manage vertical profiles.
- time = unlimited
- depth = 100
time:axis = "T" ;
depth:axis = "Z" ;
latitude:axis = "Y"
latitude:axis = "X"
float DataVariable(time, depth)
coordinates = "time depth latitude longitude";
Links between variables and their associated QC
The variable attribute ancillary_variables links a variable to its associated QC.
TIME:ancillary_variables = "TIME_QC" ;
LATITUDE:ancillary_variables = "POSITION_QC" ;
LONGITUDE:ancillary_variables = "POSITION_QC" ;
PRES:ancillary_variables = "PRES_QC" ;
DOX1:ancillary_variables = "DOX1_QC" ;
PSAL:ancillary_variables = "PSAL_QC" ;
TEMP:ancillary_variables = "TEMP_QC" ;
Dimensions for a single profile file with 100 levels:
featureType = profile
(time, depth, latitude, longitude) = (1, 100, 1, 1)
Dimensions for a series of 5 profiles with 100 levels
featureType = trajectoryProfile
(time, depth, latitude, longitude) = (5, 100, 5, 5)
Vertical references globale attributes for a glider profiling between 2 and 1002 decibars.
:geospatial_vertical_min = "2" ;
:geospatial_vertical_max = "1002" ;
:geospatial_vertical_positive = "down" ;